Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Tripoint BeGeNe: informationcentre
Date: Mar 29, 2001 @ 00:19
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

I had to look up Belvedere in my dictionary. He means of course the viewing
tower, the Tour Badouin (sp?) just inside the Belgian angle at the tripoint.
When I was there the ticket man at the base was Dutch and he accepted cash
in the three currencies AND Euros in credit. The souvenir shop also accepted
three currencies, and was in Holland. The lady said the mai problem was
tills are not designed for so many notes and coins.
Of further interest is the German salient into Belgium perhaps 500m
south(east) of the tripoint. Belgium is forested here, and Germany in
pasture. there is a thin rectangular salient of pasture, that penetrates
into Belgium. The far end is also firested, though seems to be pines rather
than the surroundnig deciduous trees.
There is a cycle/walking path along the edge of the forest and on the border
that crosses this pasture salient, and the boundary pillars are at the
turnstiles(!) at each side of the pasture. Walking up the fenceline of the
slaient one crosses into the pines and a couple of hundred metres in there
are the boundary pillars at the salient's end. It's a bit of a strange
boundary!

The construction Harry speaks of was underway when I was there in Oct last.
The place is beginning to look a little like a fairground though, a pity
given the lovely forest and pastures around.