Subject: Re: LLHHPP
Date: Mar 18, 2001 @ 17:43
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

I know in Dutch the members of the Estates General were generally
referred to as the "Hoogmogende Heren der Staten-Generaal". How to
translate Hoogmogende Heren? Well, these lords are high and mighty.
Their High Powers sounds fine to me, but I'm not a native speaker of
English, so I think you Angloes have to work this out for
yourselves...

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> their left hand pages
>

> their left handed pages
>

> er no
> their left handed pitchers
>

> well then how about
> their lofty horse players
>
> their light horsepowers
>
> their lighthouse persons
>
> no
> their powerful lighthouses
>
> their high potentates
> or potencies
>
> ahh
> their highly potent lines
>

> sniff
> ok i give up

> >Question for the dutch out there:
> >In a treaty i came across the letters LLHHPP being used to signify
the Dutch
> >government in the 1700s, ie the States General.
> >I have since found our it means Leurs Hauts Puissants, just as
SSMM stood
> >for Ses Majesties in the text of the treaty.
> >Can anyone tell me if there is an official or correct way to
translate this
> >into English?
> >Their High Powers?
> >Their High Powerfullnesses?