Subject: Re: maritime sovereignty and jurisdiction
Date: Mar 18, 2001 @ 17:39
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

I can only think of cases where there is already an area of
territorial waters defined, but then some sort of an exception is
made for the sovereignty of an island, and the island gets less of an
area of terr. waters around it as it would when the general rule was
applied. So these cases (if existing) should be well described in
treaties, exactly because it is the result of an explicite exception
made.

It's a bit like Llivia staying Spanish, because it is a CITY and not
a village. And the treaty talks of villages....

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> i agree too
> & that is precisely why the outcome of this past fridays icj
decision is so
> potentially groundbreaking
> er i mean such a potential watershed development
> & so earthshaking in a historical way
>
> but i cant digest or even follow it all yet

> >Peter, I think you are exactly correct, which is why
such "territorial sea
> >enclaves" are so rare, perhaps totally non-existent. The 12-mile
french
> >territorial sea zone around St. Pierre et Micquelon is not
enclosed by
> >Canada's territorial waters.
> >David
> >
> >On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Peter Smaardijk wrote:
> >
> >> But this is strange. The width of the band of territorial waters
is the
> >>same from the islands as
> >> from the shore, I would think. The terr. waters of such an
island can
> >>only be completely surrounded
> >> by the terr. waters of the mainland if the island is in a bay of
which
> >>the bay heads are so close
> >> that the terr. waters close off the bay. But I would think in
that case
> >>the base line would pass in
> >> between the bay heads, the water would become internal water,
and the
> >>island an enclave.
> >>
> >> In short: the terr. waters of the island (let's take the Namibian
> >>example) reaches further west than
> >> the terr. waters of Namibia.
> >>
> >> Peter S.

> >>along its