Subject: Re: Bidasoa-Txingudi
Date: Mar 09, 2001 @ 11:55
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

On this site:http://ecole.wanadoo.fr/baretous.64.louis/lajunte.htm ,
there is another picture of the stone. The number 262 can be clearly
seen.

The metal disc (or anything that resembles it) I saw on my slide can
be seen here as well: it is the dark spot in the middle of a larger
white spot at the very bottom of the picture.

It says here:
La borne internationale n° 262 où Barétounais et Roncalais
renouvellent le serment du pacte d'Anso, a remplacé un mégalithe qu'on
appelait la Pierre Saint Martin (=the international boundary marker
no. 262 where Baretounese and Roncales renew the oath of the Anso pact
[the name of the treaty, PS], has replaced a megalith that was called
St. Martins Stone).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> well then
> were they making a point about the age of the stone
>
> or the circumstances of its placement
>
> or what if anything else was said about the stone per se

> >Aha! This tourist attraction was shown in the Pyrenees episode of
> >"frontiers", the BBC programme.
> >Brendan
> >

> >>From: Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@a...>
> >>To: BoundaryPoint@y...
> >>Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Bidasoa-Txingudi
> >>Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:41:11 +0100

> >>the

> >>Yes, they're talking about the same stone here, but I will check
with the
> >>photograph I made and with
> >>other sources, because there seems to be a difference between the
stone in
> >>the picture on that site
> >>and border stone 262. In the 1856 treaty it says about stone 262:
> >>
> >>"At 530 metres of the previous sign, on the pass and at one metre
of St.
> >>Martins stone which is 640
> >>metres east of the summit of LÈchÈ and 1260 metres west of the
Arlas peak."