Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Baarle-enclaves : interesting pictures
Date: Mar 06, 2001 @ 22:59
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

My reply to the original post has been delayed by the email gremlins. There
is only one cross, in the middle of a corn field.
There are many jigs in the border, like the 'staircase' effect here in the
photo, but certainly no other crosses. I have the maps and treaty to prove
it! I have counted up all the turning points in total, and the total per
enclave. There are 959 different turning points at Baarle, but a sum of the
turning points of all 30 enclaves gives 960, showing that there is only one
point shared between two enclaves, the cross, point 5109, between H1 and H2.
It sits at Belgian coordinates 189723.02, 236426.35 . These figures are
distances in metres on the national grid form the origin of the grid. As
there are 2 decimal places, the point is defined to the nearest centimetre.

In the Dutch grid, the point is 123902.44, 383096.99

Brendan

The smallest gap either between enclaves or of chickennecks within them is a
mere 2.9m chickenneck within enclave H16. The narrowest between enclaves is
a 7.09m between H1 and H4.
Map and border corss pics to follow when i have time.