Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Myanmar - Thailand
Date: Mar 06, 2001 @ 22:50
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

It looks remarkably like the "freindship bridge' and border checks on the
Thai-Burmese border a few km west of Mae Sot halfway up the border.
I went there in 97/98 and the bridge was open, but only used by foot
traffic, not vehicles, hence the fences around the checkpoints designed for
cars. Foreigners were not allowed to cross, so i had to stand and watch as a
few Thais tried swimming the river but were turned back by Burmese. Others,
traders ,just wlaked back and forth over the bridge. It didn't make a lot of
sense. Easy to swim across just around the corner fomr the border village,
which is developing rapidly, with concrete 3-4 storey shophouses, a
minimall, etc.
Even if one could cross, the Burmese don't allow foreigners to travel to
Rangoon from the border. Other border towns often have a daypass one can
purchase, for a day trip, not further than say 10km across the border.
See Lonely Planet's Thailand guide for more.
I can't quite see why this is shown on an Umphang site, which town is south
of Mae Sot, and the brodge and border are off the map shown onthe website.
Brendan