Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Sokh, Vorukh, and others
Date: Mar 05, 2001 @ 08:08
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@and.com>)

Thank you Brendan for the clarification.

> >On this site: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sota/fergana.htm , there is talk of
> >seven enclaves within
> >Kyrgyzstan, 4 Uzbek ones (of which two are identified as Sokh and
> >Shakhimardan), and 3 Tadzhik ones
> >(one identified as Vorukh, and another one, not named, is probably the
> >long, narrow one).
> >
> No, as in my previous post, there are 7 total, 6 in Kyrgizia (4 Uzbeki and 2
> Tajiki) and 1 Tajiki in Uzbek. The article makes this clear too.

You are quite right. I should have read it with more attention.

> >Also, there should be Kyrgyz enclaves in Uzbekistan too, according to this
> >news item (Kabar, Kyrgyz
> >national news agency): http://www.kabar.gov.kg/english/opi/2001/2/26.html .
> >Look for the item
> >"Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan reached agreement on border delimitation
> >issues". Anybody has names and
> >locations for these?
>
> This is wrong. There are no Kyrgyz enclaves in Uzbekistan. If there are,
> they are VERY SMALL as they do not appear on 1:200k and even 1:100k mapping
> of the area.

Wouldn't be the first example of a prime minister (in this case the Uzbek pm) who is misinformed.

Anyway, I decided to have a look in my Soviet atlas (1987), not having very much hope to find a good
map in there, but to my surprise I _did_ find those seven enclaves. So I made this little scan, to
which I added the names. The ones I don't know the name of I just numbered T-1 and T-2 (the Tajik
ones) and U-1 and U-2 (the Uzbek ones). By the way, the Shakhimardan enclave has a village in it
called Iordan, and in Sokh enclave there is a village called Tul'.

Have I found the correct ones, or are there still other ones?

Peter S.