Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] GCEBE - dates fixed !
Date: Jan 28, 2001 @ 01:30
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Whicxh reminds me...
Besides the 5 enclaves along the Belg-German border near monschau, there was
another some way south, much closer to Lux, west of a small German village
called Bleiauf (which wascalso the name of the appropriate 1:25 000 Germn
topo sheet). This was a very small enclave, agian caused by a Belgian
railway crossing into Germany for a few hundred metres. The border at this
point was a river (the Our). The whole line there has been ripped up and an
autobahn runs through nearby.
Apparently, according to a source in Belgium, when the line fell into disuse
and was lifted, the enclave disappeared, and the formation was used in
places as a road/path foby farmers. This is what happened to the short bit
of line in Germany.
The border markers along it were also lifted, but it seems there is a chair
and picnic table made out of these concrete pillars along that lifted
ex-enclave stretch.
See Belgian Topo Burg-Reuland, 56/7-8 (scale 1:25 000) or 1:50 000 St Vith,
# 56&56A.

The enclave was at:
6deg 10min 15sec east, 50deg 13min 30sec north.
The German hamlet in the ex-enclave on the border is Hammeres, 2km SE of the
autobahn numbered in Germany as A60 E42.

If anyone gets there, I want a photo of the pillar picnic furniture, ok???

Brendan