Subject: Re: Mexico and USA Agree to Divide Unclaimed Area in Gulf of Mexico
Date: Jan 23, 2001 @ 18:17
Author: mick donner ("mick donner" <m@...>)

interesting

also was it my imagination or arent there really 2 donut holes out
there
& are these the same or different from the 2 omnisovereign holes
of human heritage area previously indicated in the gulf of mexico
also

at least i sure hope that the usa & mexico are not simply
appropriating & divvying up our most local units of everyones
land

that would leave our golf course a hole or 2 short
& set an ominous precedent for the rest

lets hope i am mistaken

can anyone say

--- In BoundaryPoint@egroups.com, "Bill Hanrahan"
<hanrahan@k...> wrote:
> Mexico, U.S. Agree to Divide Unclaimed Area in Gulf of Mexico
> The Associated Press
>
> MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico and the United States signed an
agreement
> to divide up an unclaimed area of the Gulf of Mexico that lies
beyond
> both countries' 200-mile territorial limits.
> The agreement is expected to sort out potentially lucrative
rights to
> offshore oil exploration in an area in the center of the Gulf
> informally known as "the doughnut hole."
>
> But both countries agreed to a 10-year moratorium on drilling
for
> studies on where any oil deposits might lie, in order to ensure
both
> countries get an equal chance to tap into them.
>
> Under the deal, Mexico obtained rights to about 60 percent of
the
> 6,500-sq. mile area in the Gulf, and the United States 40
percent.

> U.S. Ambassador Jeffrey Davidow called the agreement, signed
> Wednesday in Mexico City, "a historic moment in relations
between our