Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Historic geographic anomalies
Date: Jan 02, 2001 @ 23:57
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

> David, Porkkala was a soviet (I think the land
>was leased) base in Finland. It is like Guantanamo or
>the Cypriot bases or the treaty ports in China. Even
>Panama Canal Zone was similar.

No, the Cypriot bases are Brit sovereign terriroty.
All cyprus was British until 1960. Some (ie 99%) was made independent as the
Rep of Cyprus. The rest stayed British. Thus these bases are NOT like
Guantanamo or Porkkala, in that the Cypriots have not leased them to the UK.
When the brits want to leave they will give them to Cyprus (they can't sell
them to someone else), but they are British sovereign territory.
Thus the bases are usually labelled UKSB: UK Sovereign Base, or UK Sovereign
Military base.

Brendan