Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic anomalies
Date: Dec 30, 2000 @ 04:04
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

excellent arif

grateful for any time with you
& thanx for promoting onlist responses too
as i believe we are all interested in these

also glad to see you are rad enough to consider st pierre a true exclave
if it proved to be integral to france
which btw i am pretty sure it is
being 1 of 5 overseas departments
glad because your view acknowledges the equality of sea & land for
determining the true shapes of territories
& so promotes the acknowledgment of maritime tripoints too

now here is a follow up question

the status of the other 4 overseas departments & their waters
french guiana guadeloupe martinique & reunion
is not so rare
since these are not similarly surrounded by sovereign waters
but are all bounded in part by nonsovereign waters
& so i gather that by your definition these would not be exclaves

this presents a difficulty tho

clearly their open endedness disqualifies them from being enclaves
since they cannot be within anything else in that case
but shouldnt they still have as much claim as st pierre to be exclaves
since they are just as external to metropolitan france as st pierre is

this is an example of the more general difficulty of definitions i mentioned

it seems there is always an exception or contradiction like this lurking in
the shadows of one clavology or the other

it might be fun to sort out all the different possibilities tho

i have never seen a completely satisfactory typology

ps
just enjoyed your latest refreshment too