Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic anomalies
Date: Dec 30, 2000 @ 09:41
Author: Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen ("Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

Very good answers Arif. Glad to listen to an expert, and not just the crackers like the rest of us.

> > JUNGHOLZ
> > For quite some time I have wondered about the status
> > of Jungholz,
> > so thank you for the recent clarification on this
> > matter. I shall look
> > forward to the forthcoming reports from the single
> > connection point.
> >
> I don't like calling this an enclave as it does touch
> Austria at a point, but I haven't figured what to call
> it.

I am currenly working on a Boundary Club site in Danish. I and Peter want to promote our interest locally (welcome Mats of Sweden). I have decided to use the expression semi-enclave for Jungholz.

> > LLIVIA, CAMPIONE D'ITALIA, BAARLE-HERTOG, BUESINGEN
> > These are fairly wellknown exclaves. Do you discuss
> > them at all,
> > and if so, would anyone have any interesting links
> > or maps?
> >
> I have paper maps of all of them. Most of them have
> maps online too. Mapquest is fair about them.
> Brendan's maps on the group is the best I have seen on
> Llivia. Swissgeo is good for Campione and Busingen.
> Catudal had a fairly good book on the subject.

I was supposed to be in Beligium in this very second, staying in a town on the French border. Unfortunately the trip was posponed to spring, but Baarle is still on the way there. Peter lend me some great maps of the area. Maybe I can ask him to scan it when he gets back.

Peter and Bernd both have pix of Büssingen on their sites:
http://www.geocities.com/mafiapetedk
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/grenze/

http://wings.buffalo.edu/philosophy/faculty/smith/baarle.htm
http://www.llivia.com

<snip>

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6625/misc/

> > CASES OF EXCLAVES WITHIN EXCLAVES
> > Baarle-Hertog is a well-known example of the
> > extremely rare case, where
> > exclaves exist within exclaves. There is allegedly
> > another case in Oman.
> > Does anyone have any information on this? By the
> > way, did you know
> > that there is at least one Dutch exclave within the
> > main territory of
> > Belgium in the vicinity of Baarle? I'll scan a map
> > and put it here if anyone
> >
> > has interest in this fact.
> >
> The only book I have seen that mentions the enclave
> within Madha, the Omani enclave, is Gideon Biger's
> Encyclopedia of International Boundaries. There are
> also exclave within exclave in Bangladesh-India area.
> I did know of the Dutch enclaves within Belgium.

The borders around Baarle is quite interesting. At one point the Dutch territory is only a road and the fields on both sides are Beligium. Peter told me also that the Dutch enclave is not marked.

<snip>

> > CYPRUS
> > There seems to exist at least two british military
> > bases, constituting
> > independent territories, on Cyprus, and at least one
> > turk-cypriotic
> > exclave on the north-west coast of the island.
> > Information, anyone?
> >
> Yes, there is. There are also Cypriot exclaves and
> fragment in Dhekelia base. Most Turkish and Cypriot
> territory is separated by the UN. The Turkish
> separated territory is around a town.

I am blessed to have been on Cyprus. I have been driving through the British bases. You are not allowed to stop there or take photos. The main road that goes through Dhekelia are open and there are no check point (But I think there was a gate). Big fences on both side of the road though. There are a small Turkish exclave in the north west corner. It is a village called Kokkina. I saw something about on the net the other day, but I couldn't find it again I am afraid. I will look for it again.

<snip>

> > NEUTRAL ZONES
> > What neutral zones do we know of? Are there neutral
> > zones close to
> > Gibraltar, Ceuta and Melilla? And what happened to
> > the rombic shaped
> > neutral zone in the desert between Saudi Arabia and
> > Iraq? Is it still
> > there?
> >
> There are neutral zones around the territories. Check
> a Spanish atlas. The Gibraltar neutral zone shows up
> in most encyclopedias and Ceuta one is in the
> previously mentioned website. All of them also shows
> up on the Moroccan book I mentioned. The Saudi-Iraq
> one was divided in 1982 and like the Saudi-Kuwait one,
> the territory was divided, but the natural resources
> are divided equitably, not according to the land.

And now a question! How are these zones administered? What if a crime is commited there?
On http://www.frontier.gibnet.gi/ you don't see the neutral zone. And it is also not mentioned. On the interactive map of the border it appears to be a "normal non-neutral zone" border crossing.

Jesper