Subject: Re: Re straddling - military causes it, too
Date: May 03, 2003 @ 08:06
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> There was one building straddling the East-West German border where
> the upper floors were east and the lower were west. The East German
> Army occupied the uppor floor, and a west German couple lived
> downstairs.

Are you sure it wasn't just a right/left part of the building? I seem to remember that, but I forgot where it was. If you remember the name of the location, maybe we could do some googling.

> The border at that point was a result of the position of
> US-Russian troops when the war ended.

Unlikely. The East/West German border (occupation zones then) was decided in several Allied post-war conferences which took place in 1944/1945 (London/Potsdam/Yalta). Here's a map which is a result of those agreements: http://www.wschwanke.de/tmp/germany_map-d.jpg

The borders were drawn along previous internal German state or province boundaries, with minor corrections in two or three locations. They're a case of "upgrading" lower level borders, as Ernst Stavro Blofeld put it. Actual location of troops was not part of the decision process.

Regards