Subject: Re: ruua was byruua
Date: May 01, 2003 @ 05:24
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Interesting border situation on RUUA: the twin towns of Melovoe
(UA)
> and Èertkovo (RU). I read somewhere that the border even divides
the
> local hairdresser's. At http://iisd.org.ua/dg/200301/0129dgdoc.htm
it
> mentions the boundary as running in the middle of the main road. At
> http://www.kv.com.ua/index.php?rub=40&number_old=2716 another
article
> on the situation (the bloke in the photograph is standing on the
> border, according to the text).
> http://magazines.russ.ru/oz/2002/6/2002_06_25.html mentions a meat
> processing factory which is on the boundary, but owned by Russia.
>
> Peter S.

My quesiton is why such situations happened at all. What kind of rye-
drunk nomenklaturist carved out a land parcel or issued a building
permit to build ONE property that is on both sides of the border?
Especially keeping in mind that no one had such authority. Two
bordering entities can design adjacent parcels, but one can design
one parcel spanning the border!

Karolis