Subject: Re: caus njny etc was FRGB
Date: Apr 24, 2003 @ 13:11
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

by international law the territorial waters of countries may extend
no farther than 12nm seaward from their coastal baselines
which are the straight lines connecting the most seaward
projections of their coasts &or offshore islands

but there are many exceptional cases involving underclaims
such as of 3nm or 6nm or 9nm etc
depending on various factors
like the desire of greece not to provoke turkey
etc etc
& there are a few exceptional cases of overclaims
like canada & russia claiming all the way to the north pole

but normally only normal claims & underclaims are generally
recognized

also there are cases of negotiated & adjudicated asymmetries

but the general rule & the default reality is as you say 12nm

in the case of the straits of dover
as you also anticipate
there must be a short reach of waters extending across the
chunnel where the distance between the french & british coastal
baselines is less than 24nm apart
& this would produce a real frgb territorial waters boundary line
based on equidistance if nothing else
without there being any intervening everyones waters
not only in that specific location but for several miles in both
directions along the narrowest passage

& it is presumably just such a line that is marked within the
chunnel

& since it is marked
it must first have been delimited
deliberately & exactly
as well as explicitly agreed to

so i would expect a treaty to this effect could be found

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman

http://www.windsorpubliclibrary.com/images/Museum/riversedge