Subject: plru was: Poor border mapping example and straight borders
Date: Apr 21, 2003 @ 07:00
Author: Jesper Nielsen ("Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next

Jesper
----- Original Message -----
From: acroorca2002
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 11:11 PM

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anorak222"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:

> > PLRU seems straight, but looking at a good map will
indicate line drawn with vodka in the blood.

> I've heard it described as "Stalins Schwertschlag" (Stalin's
sword stroke). Is it known how it was exactly decided?

stalin said he wanted konigsberg for reparations & revenge
but first trashed it to make sure no one else would want it
& the potsdam agreement of 2aug45 already mentioned a plru
line drawn due east from danzig bay to modern ltplru explicitly
leaving braunsberg goldap in poland

so thats already a pretty straight line in everyones mind
& there is a suggestion you are right about missing towns too
in the fact that at least 1 town was already explicitly missed by it
tho not yet by means of adding any bends in the line
since it actually dips toward rather than away from this town

but the exact definition may have taken 2 more weeks to work out
since there was a polish soviet border treaty of 16aug45
contents unknown
but perhaps someone can find it
for it might contain evidence of deliberately missing the other
towns
if that task wasnt just left for the boundary survey commissioners
themselves to eventually work out as they tippled along

anyway there is some considerable doubt that it is legal
in case that matters for it to count as being straight

I have this image of someone drawing a line with a ruler, and
when they noticed that the line would run through existing towns,
they added little bends. How was it really done? Who drew the
border?