Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: Apr 16, 2003 @ 23:49
Author: Brian J. Butler (Brian J. Butler <bjbutler@...>)

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 05:58 pm, you wrote:
Actually, it is illigitimate to say that a river goes on for 15 miles, or
that a river goes on for 1000 miles. The center of a river is of
indeterminate length because it is a fractal object, not a smooth curve. The
same goes for a ridge line. Of course, you can choose to estimate its length
by ignoring an arbitrary amount of detail. This can give you a reasonable
lower bound for the length, which, in the case of the OK-TX boundary, may be
sufficient to show that it is longer than the straight-line CA-NV boundary.
But you cannot really measure the upper limit of the length of OK-TX or of,
say, VA-WV. So how can you say that one of these is longer than the other?
And you certainly cannot put a fixed number on either one.

BJB