Subject: Re: caus & mxus initial points & oldest stones
Date: Apr 09, 2003 @ 16:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

victor
most handsome & pertinent too

indeed you appear already to have put your finger on the final
answer
by directing our attention to the apparently key word
reconstructed
suggesting that the original 1849 rock has somehow been
incorporated here into the 1894 reconstruction

so given this apparent testimony
my guess would be that the 1849 original was in fact not
discarded in 1894
as the 1798 caus original evidently was in 1817
but became the core &or capstone of the present monument
say along the lines of the armook reconstruction we just saw
or else the old stone is presented by & present within the
present monument in some other less obvious way

but can you further encourage such a surmise
from your memory &or pix
because if so then that would mean we are already practically
looking at the clear victor here
as i believe we are
& need search no farther afield
but need only find & zero in further on the visibly older part if any
of monument 258

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Victor Cantore
<drpotatoes@y...> wrote:
> mike,
>
> monument 258 on usmx was placed on oct 10 1849 and the
> actual one there today was reconstructed in 1894.
>
> the Mexican side of the monument uses the word
> 'fijado' (fixed) and the US side uses the word
> 'established' to confirm that date. The treaty date is
> also mentioned separately.
>
> also, by use of the word 'Intial' one can assume that
> this was the first marker placed on usmx. Everything i
> have read on the subject confirms that as well.
>
> i do have a photo of the caazbc marker (#207) as well
> no close ups though.
>
> vc
>

> --- m donner <maxivan82@h...> wrote:
> > according to
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~dawise/Maine.htm
> > the oldest known extant caus monument dates from
> > 1817
> > but it was a replacement for a 1798 original
> > which was itself the first monument on the caus line
> > or rather on what was then the gbus line
> >
> > the position marked by these stones
> > at the source of the st croix river
> > or roughly halfway up the maine new brunswick
> > boundary
> > is shown in

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=5087872&e594362&s=2
5&symshow=n