Subject: Re: guards on duty #2
Date: Apr 03, 2003 @ 03:22
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

> I was at the US-MEX border a few weeks ago at Nogales. For a long
time I've
> wanted to see a train cross over at this point, but haven't been
there at
> the right time. This time I was, however. It was quite interesting
how they
> opened the big metal gate, which is actually in the US by about two
feet.
> The borderline is marked on the rr tracks by a cement setting (6
inches
> wide) in the ground up to the metal tracjs and between them. The US
customs
> officer inspecting the train as it went through stood up to the
cement line
> and even on it, but never stepped across it--I watched for 25
minutes (it
> was a very long train full of American cars that were put together
in a
> Mexican maquiladora). Likewise the Mexican customs officer stood up
next to
> it on its south side, and they conversed a few inches apart, but
never
> stepped over.
> Dallen

You bet! I watched the exact same thing from Nogales, Sonora!
I guess it wouldn't exactly be a crime against humanity if the guards
steped over, but they simply lose all their power by stepping out of
their jurisdiction, they could tell the Mexican to get out from
between the car-full train cars just as much as me.