Subject: Re: Arbara: ES2ARGINA ... and others
Date: Mar 24, 2003 @ 17:27
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Internal Basque tripoints:

EH2GILANA (Gipuzkoa, Lapurdi, Navarre) a.k.a. ESFR2GINAPY (Gipuzkoa,
Navarre, Pyrénées Atlantiques): In the Bidasoa river, opposite ESFR
boundary marker no. 1 (Xapitelako Harria, near the hamlet of
Endarlatsa). The municipalities here are: GI: Irun/Irún, NA:
Bera/Vera de Bidasoa, PY: Biriatu/Biriatou.

EH2LANANB (Lapurdi, Navarre, Lower Navarre=Nafarroa Beherea) a.k.a.
ESFR2NAPY3BABIIT (Baztan/Baztán, Bidarrai/Bidarray, Itsasu/Itxassou):
ESFR boundary marker no. 81 (+/-250 m. ENE of the Mehatxe pass).

EH2NANBZU (Navarre, Lower Navarre, Zuberoa) a.k.a. ESFR2NAPY3LALEOT
(Larraine/Larrau, Lekunberri/Lécumberry, Otsagabia/Ochagavía): In the
Irratiko erreka (=Irati brook), opposite ESFR boundary marker no. 230.

NB: The northern Basque provinces aren't at present administrative
entities (they were before the French revolution). The northern
Basque country forms, together with Béarn, the Pyrénées Atlantiques
departement. The three provinces of the north (commonly known as
Iparralde (=the north side) in Basque) don't meet in one point; Lower
Navarre prevents Lapurdi and Zuberoa to meet up.

Very purist Basque deny, by the way, the existence of Lower Navarre;
they consider it Navarre's sixth "merinalde" (=+/- bailiwick), namely
that of "Across the mountain passes" ("Ultra Puertos" in Spanish).
Navarre is, after all, divided between two states.

Peter S.