Subject: Fw: question about barak
Date: Mar 14, 2003 @ 08:44
Author: chris ("chris" <23568@...>)

Hi,

in google i found some links about barak, similar to those, peter posted on boundary point.

In the following link i found a tiny info:
http://www.eurasianet.org/resource/kyrgyzstan/hypermail/200104/0053.html

   6. OSH GOVERNOR VISITS A KYRGYZ ENCLAVE IN UZBEKISTAN. Governor of the
   southern Osh Province Naken Kasiev has visited the Kyrgyz village of Barak,
   situated on Uzbek territory. It belongs to the Kara-Suu district of Osh
   Province and was not an enclave in the Soviet times

(this will be the fact, why its not marked in the maps).

   There are about 700
   residents in the village. Head of the Kurgan-Tobe district administration of
   Uzbekistan Malik Kasymov accompanied Kasiev. The governor promised all
   possible help to the village residents.

on this Link they talk about "numerous tiny enclaves inside Uzbekistan":

http://www.iwpr.net/archive/rca/rca_200106_57_3_eng.txt

In another region of southern Kyrgyzstan, Osh, the situation is the opposite. Several Kyrgyz communities found themselves on Uzbek territory. One of them, Barak, a village of 627 Kyrgyz people, has become, the locals say, a major bone of contention in border talks with Uzbekistan.

Like other Kyrgyz people living in the numerous tiny enclaves inside Uzbekistan, they have stopped all dealings with the Kyrgyz mainland. "It's too hard," one man said.

Men from Barak always carry two kinds of ethnic head dress - at home they wear the Kyrgyz kalpak, but when they venture into Uzbekistan they feel it's safer to wear the Uzbek tubeteika, skull cap.

Barak council leader Gapurjan Tairov says local cotton and wheat farmers need written permission from Tashkent in order to transport and sell their crops in Kyrgyzstan. Getting the permits takes an age and in the meantime the farmers' produce goes off and drops in value.

The villagers feel unwanted and dispossessed. Health care provision is limited. In this one-village enclave, pregnant women have to make arrangements well in advance to travel to Kyrgyzstan for the last weeks of their pregnancy to be sure of decent treatment when they go into labour.

The local GP, Marapat Borueva, says there are no emergency medical facilities in the village and without the relevant papers it's often impossible to transport critically-ill patients to larger hospitals outside the enclave.

"My daughter had an appendicitis seizure this spring - we tried to take her to our municipal hospital, but Uzbek border guards wouldn't let us through," Borueva recalled. "We did eventually smuggle our daughter across the border at a different checkpoint. We barely made it."

Barak has a primary school, but is too small to have a secondary school. When the border checkpoints were set up it became increasingly difficult for older children to commute to middle and high schools in larger, nearby villages.

In early spring, Barak residents demonstrated in protest at their plight outside the Osh regional government building. It seems this was the first time the authorities were made aware of the village's plight.

Mediation by the new Osh governor Naken Kasiev has brought the villagers access to telephones and a new site has been set aside for a high school. But the tiresome border point checks remain.

Interesting to see, that Barak is just one of some more places in identical situations.It would be intersting to find out, why the enclaves came into existence or why barak is called an enclave and "all the others" not. maybe its the effect of the protest of the people of barak that barak got the focus, the consciousness of the media.

Anyway, we get a Barak (or balik or even valik) on a map and another Barak from the articles close to Kara-Su. The article-Barak seems to be an ethnic enclave, but what i dont understand is, why cant a village of 700 people be found on Geonet.

Regards, Chris