Subject: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Re: News about Barak (the Kyrgyz' exclave)
Date: Mar 12, 2003 @ 18:15
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Hutchison"
<granthutchison@b...> wrote:
> > Or this source is not very accurate. A quick search on the
> Russophone
> > internet mentions Tajan a couple of times, but never as an
enclave.
> > It is mentioned as an area destined at one time to be swapped
> against
> > another piece of land which would become an Uzbek corridor
between
> > the Soch enclave and the mainland. Kyrgyzstan didn't like this
plan
> > at the time. They probably still don't like it.
> So that would make these "40ha of arable land" part of Sokh at
> present, but once earmarked for potential exchange to Kyrgyzstan?

Maybe part of Soch, maybe indeed an enclave, I don't know, but yes,
once earmarked for potential exchange to Kyrgyzstan. The story is
that a memorandum stating this was already signed, but then the news
broke in Kyrgyzstan that they were giving away the "control of the
Soch river" and almost cutting Batken province in two, in return for
40 lousy hectares in the middle of nowhere (i.e. not of any
strategical significance). So the deal was called off by the Kyrgyz
side.

> I think I've established that Khalmion is the name of the Uzbek
> enclave NW of Shakhimardan - GeoNet lists this village at 40 12 47
N,
> 71 38 29 E, in exactly the right spot. But perhaps you've
encountered
> this name already?
>
> Grant

Chalmion can be seen on http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/data/Centr._Asia/Topo%
20maps_500k/K-42-G.jpg . It looks like being a Kyrgyz village, with
the enclave nearby. No mentioning of the village in any interesting
article on the internet, in the short time that I have searched.

Peter S.

PS Sorry for these links to huge maps. This site (
http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/ ) has some brilliant maps, but is hell to
navigate, and the maps themselves have enormous sizes...