Subject: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Re: News about Barak (the Kyrgyz' exclave)
Date: Mar 12, 2003 @ 11:52
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

There are, as far as I know, six enclaves within Kyrgyzstan: two
Tajik ones (the ones mentioned), and four Uzbek ones. The confusion
comes, I think, from the fact that there are three Tajik enclaves:
two in Kyrgyzstan, and another one in Uzbekistan.

Barak is a Kyrgyz enclave in Uzbekistan, so the other way around.

Cf. the attached map at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/1538 (I didn't
know about Barak back then).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel

http://www.crisisweb.org/projects/asia/centralasia/reports/A400606_040
> 42002.pdf
> gives the count as a very precise 627 *households* - but, then
1,500
> people would be too *small* a number!
>
> Grant

------------

> Thank's for posting this VERY INTERESTING report from ICG!
>

> At page 4-5 (9-10 as .pdf-pages) it says:
> "Kyrgyzstan hosts seven enclaves: two belong to
>
> Tajikistan - Varukh, with a population of some
>
> 30,000, and a very small one north of Isfana - the
>
> remainder to Uzbekistan,[...]"
>

> wich would be 5, right?
>
> But at page 14 (19) it says:
>
> "Four enclaves within Kyrgyzstan - all Uzbekistan
>
> territory[...]"
>

> So, in the first statement, do they refer to Barak as the 5th (7th)
enclave,