Subject: Re: Natural disasters - shifting borders?
Date: Mar 06, 2003 @ 20:07
Author: Francisco ("Francisco" <xuax@...>)

Victor Cantore <drpotatoes@y...> wrote:
> i heard on the news on sunday that there was a small
> earthquake on usmx and it got me to thinking.
> has a border ever shifted due to a natural disaster,
> earthquake or otherwise? what would happen in that
> case? do treaties address plate tectonics, etc. at
> all?

Hi Victor,
In fact, sometimes river dams provoke artificial disasters, which in
turn change river banks and move islands, disturbing the previously
unshifted centuries-old borders. I'm talking about the river
Minho/MiƱo in PTES northwestern border.
I helped Jan in a text about this case, which is at his Jan S.
Krogh's GeoSite:
http://home.no.net/enklaver/borders/minoriverborder.htm

Francisco,
Portugal