Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau
Date: Mar 02, 2003 @ 11:01
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Karolis,

>how would you classify the EEZ border between Cook Island and Niue
>and CI-Tokelau. Certainly not international, nor internal...

Niue and the Cook Islands are self-governing territories in free
association with New Zealand. Although New Zealand is responsible for their
defence and external affairs, this is supposedly undertaken in consultation
with the islanders, and the territories have the right to declare
independence without the agreement of New Zealand.

Tokelau is a self-administering territory of New Zealand, but moving
towards free association status. New Zealand is therefore responsible for
their defence and external affairs.

Given the above, I guess the borders would be internal at the moment,
although perhaps a new category is needed for semi-autonomous territories
under the umbrella of a 'parent' country?

>do you know about citizenship arrangements for the three countries?
>NZ, but something like British Overseas??

I believe the Cook Islanders and Niueans (don't know about the Tokelauans)
hold dual citizenship of their own territories as well as that of New
Zealand. However, they don't issue their own passports, so New Zealand
citizenship is probably the only one that's relevant.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell