Subject: Re: Continent border -> German colonies
Date: Feb 25, 2003 @ 08:10
Author: Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@yahoo.com> ("Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>" <smaardijk@...>)

Another source of information: http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/

And there is always the Windhoek Karneval... :-)
( http://www.africaonline.com.na/wika/ )

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anorak222 <listen@w...>"
<listen@w...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...>
wrote:
> > Incidentally, it would seem that Germany had a large presence in
Oceania in
> > the late-nineteenth/early-twentieth century, but I've never
really found
> > much information about this.
>
> Here's a list of all colonies that Germany had, with some
statistics:
> http://www.dhm.de/lemo/html/kaiserreich/aussenpolitik/kolonien2/
>
> > Indeed, it would seem that few Germans are
> > even aware they were involved in the region in the past.
>
> There's not a lot of legacies left of them in everyday life,
contrary to some other European countries whose modern culture is
very much influenced by their former colonial empires.