Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Continent border
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 22:56
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>One of my favorite newsgroups, alt.usage.english discussed whether Oceania
>is in fact a continent

It's absurd to describe Oceania as a continent when it's clearly a region.
This is the problem when you try to define physical entities for political
purposes. Unfortunately, continental divisions are used by some
international organisations (e.g. ICANN) to ensure 'geographical diversity'
on their committees.

Incidentally, Oceania was always called Australasia when I went to school.

>Do the open sea islands are parts of continents?

The UN seems to assign the mid-ocean islands (e.g. St. Helena, French
Southern Territories) to the nearest continent. It doesn't make much sense,
unless you believe that every political entity has to be part of a continent.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell