Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Scandinavia, language trivia
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 20:34
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@...>)

--- "Francisco <xuax@...>" <xuax@...>
wrote:
> Good summary, I think. But in the last point you may
> include also
> the Swedish-speaking population of Finland, or at
> least its Aland
> Autonomous Province.

The Scandinavian languages may be close, but they are
certainly separate languages rather than dialects. And
finnish is of course not a Germanic language.

To my knowledge swedish is spoken in Sweden and in
Finland. Also a few houndred natively swedish speaking
Estonians should remain on the largest Estonian
islands in the Baltic.

A fascinating fact is that the only country in the
world where swedish is an official language is
Finland.

In Sweden itself there simply is no legislation about
official languages, although some minority languages
enjoy a certain legal protection.

Regards