Subject: Baltic EEZ tripoints / Monaco maritime space
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 11:26
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Dear Karolis,

The PLRUSE tripoint has been defined by agreement at 55d 52.788' N, 18d
55.545' E. The LTRUSE tripoint has yet to be confirmed but it will probably
lie around 3 nautical miles to the north of PLRUSE (the outermost point of
the agreed LTRU boundary, which I assume is slightly to the east of the
likely LTRUSE tripoint, is at 55d 55.420' N, 19d 02.805'E).

Monaco actually got a pretty good deal when it agreed its maritime boundary
with France. If equidistance lines had been used, the concave coastline
around Monaco would have left it with a territorial sea which tapered to an
outermost point just 6 nautical miles offshore. Under its 1984 boundary
agreement with France it got a 1.69 nm-wide 'corridor' of territorial sea
and continental shelf extending over 47 nm offshore in a south-southeasterly
direction.

m a r t i n