Subject: Re: Marine 4point? - Scandinavia
Date: Feb 23, 2003 @ 20:02
Author: Francisco <xuax@netvisao.pt> ("Francisco <xuax@...>" <xuax@...>)

"Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> Finland is not situated on the Scandinavian peninsula; neither is
the main
> population of Scandinavian origin.

> Scandinavia + Finland = the Nordic countries (
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/ )

OK, this is what I am aware of. The Scandinavian countries are those
situated in the Scandinavian peninsula: Norway and Sweden. The
others, related by language, culture, history, economics, etc,
(members of the Nordic Council) join the Scandinavian countries in
the broad denomination of Nordic countries

> Iceland is mainly populated by Scandinavians and [therefor]
speaking a
> Scandinavian language.

Well, by this rationale Brazil is a Lusitanian (Portuguese) country
and New Zealand is a British country, just to mention two examples.
Is the case Scandinavia-Iceland different?

Francisco