Subject: Re: Continent border
Date: Feb 23, 2003 @ 19:48
Author: Francisco <xuax@netvisao.pt> ("Francisco <xuax@...>" <xuax@...>)

"Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...> wrote:
> We have previously discussed land continent borders. The obvious
one if of course ASEU.
> But what about ASOC?
> This atlas http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/au.htm
> shows IDPG as a land continent border, and I have seen others as
well.

Hi,
Sorry, I'm new here, I didn't follow land continent borders
discussion. Anyway this is my opinion.
1. IDPG border in Papua Island is, first of all, an artifical,
illogical border (as many others). It's not a "normal" political
border, how can it be a continental one? Remember the ongoing fight
of the West Papuans against Indonesian rule.
2. If IDPG is a land continent border (ASOC), what about IDTL?
3. If the political borders can be land continent borders, then the
Sinai peninsula is Africa, Anatolia is Europe (or is the European
side of Turkey is a part of Asia?), and Ceuta & Melilla are Europe
too. And French Guyana, is Europe or South America?

4. Now a little joke related to this issue. When Portugal and Spain
were the less developed countries in Europe (kind of European Third
World) some people used to say that or Europe ends in the Pirenees
(and Africa begins) or Europe ends in the Atlas (and Africa begins).
So, the economic development limit was a kind of continental border.

Francisco
Portugal