Subject: Re: NL-enclave in Canada!
Date: Feb 14, 2003 @ 23:41
Author: L. A. Nadybal <lnadybal@comcast.net> ("L. A. Nadybal <lnadybal@...>" <lnadybal@...>)

Aren't you mixing terms up in your comments?

I don't think what we have here is a transfer of territory, but a
transfer of sovereignty over a piece of territory - making that piece
part and parcel of the entity that gained it.

That the Capital of Norway moved shows there is nothing that says a
capital can't be outside of the territory being governed.
Constitutions can be changed just like self imposed deadlines.

What is a "capital", anyway? You used the term referring to the seat
of government. In Norway during the war, to follow what you wrote,
the capital moved around with the Parliament, but that the
Constitution said that the Parliament can only be in the capital.
Ergo, where ever it was that the Parliament mets) had to be the
Capital. I don't see that moving violated the constitution, because
wherever Parliament was situated WAS the capital. Parliament could
elect to sit outside the country if it wanted, to, and that place
would then be the capital, and everything would be constitutionally fine.

In German, "Capital City" is "Hauptstadt". "Regierungssitz" is "Seat
of Government". Perhaps we should attune ourselves to differentiating
what we mean in English. Wouldn't Capital City be merely the "Main
City" - When the German seat of government was Bonn, the Capital City
was still Berlin (even though Berlin during the post war occupation
period wasn't inside of the Federal Republic). New York would be the
Capital City of the USA in that sense, and Washington D.C. would be
the Seat of Government.

BTW, now that New York came up, the UN has it's HQ in NY - and on
occasion (every five years on the anniversary of its founding in 1945)
it moves to San Francisco; the HQ area is expanded by agreement with
the US to include an exclave there for one day. On that one day each
five years, you can actually go to the UN-building-for-a-day in SFO
and mail letters from the UN without using US stamps, and see them be
postmarked "United Nations - San Francisco".

Regards

Len Nadybal

Regards

Len Nadybal

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@t...>
wrote:
> This sounds like a temporary transfer of territory for a period of 1 day
> (?). I don't feel that this sounds so sensationally as I think I
somewhere
> have heard about several similar situations, but still very interesting!
> (E.g. during World War II the capital of Norway from the day of the
German