Subject: Re: Boundary line change may have affected crabbers detected in Russia
Date: Feb 13, 2003 @ 19:02
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

it is common to crab about someone elses crabbers in ones own waters

but it sounds to me like the usa is striking this unusual blow
against its own crabbers in supposedly foreign waters merely in order
to emphasize its expectation & belief that the congressionally
approved but initially secret baker shevardnadze deal
which was so highly favorable to the usa & unfavorable to russia
is legally binding
regardless of whether the duma ever ratifies it
as is actually legally required

for i believe that that is where a major sticking point & uncertainty
lies in this highly unusual & suspicious & probably even illegal
boundary deal

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk
<jseelige@a...>

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/013103/ala_013103ala0010001.sh
> tml
> >
> > Boundary line change may have affected crabbers detected in Russia
> >

> > KODIAK (AP) -- A change in the 1867 maritime boundary line
between
> the
> > United States and Russia may be the reason six Bering Sea
crabbers
> were
> > detected fishing in Russian waters last week, according to federal
> > officials.
> >
> > The six vessels were ordered to port by the Coast Guard on behalf
> of the
> > National Marines Fisheries Service.
> >
> > The boundary line was moved as much as 14 miles east in 1991, one
> federal
> > officer estimated. Captains, using navigational programs linked
> the
> > global positioning system, may have been plotting their positions
> from the
> > 1867 line rather than the 1991 line.
> >
> > ''One possibility -- the software provider may have been at
> fault,'' Susan
> > Auer told the Kodiak Mirror on Thursday. Auer is senior
enforcement
> attorney
> > for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
> >
> > The six American vessels included the Alaskan Beauty of Kirkland,
> Wash.,
> > Fierce Allegiance of Edmonds, Wash., the Arctic Wind, Pacific
Star,
> and
> > Ocean Olympic of Seattle and the Adventure of Petersburg.
> >
> > The boats were fishing in the Bering Sea during the opilio, or
snow
> crab,
> > season that closed Saturday.
> >
> > The Adventure was ordered to St. Paul in the Pribilof Islands.
Auer