Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] SMOM
Date: Jan 27, 2003 @ 17:44
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>For example, a person born in the US embassy to Italy. Could this person
>become President of the United States?

I've never understood the part of the US Constitution where it states that
the President must be born in the United States. Article II states "No
person except a natural born citizen, OR a citizen of the United States, at
the time of the adoption of this constitution, shall be eligible to the
office of president." Does this mean that only citizens born in US after
the adoption of the constitution may become president, or that both natural
born citizens *and* US citizens (whether or not they were actually born in
the US) are eligible?

>Suppose one was a pregnant woman who gave birth. Would the child be
>American, Cuban or Afghani?

Isn't Guantanamo Bay still Cuban territory, even though it's leased to the US?

>Also, I recall that Churchill signed a proclamation making a certain
>hospital room Yugoslavian territory for a day after the war so that the heir
>apparent to the Yugoslavian throne could in fact be born in that country.

But isn't that a different issue? The hospital room became part of
Yugoslavia for one day, whereas the Yugoslav embassy would still have been
the territory of the host country.

Cheers,

Kevin Meynell