Subject: Re: hi
Date: Jan 26, 2003 @ 00:48
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "John

> This is probably old hat for you experts, but
http://geography.about.com/library/misc/uceez.htm:

it seems a nice new hat actually for some mostly familiar ideas

the only significant thing it misses i think is the protruding
continental shelf rule
which effectively extends the eez on the seabed sometimes far
beyond the normal limit of 200nm from coastal baselines

i think caus for example on the atlantic side
issuing from the bay of fundy between maine & new brunswick
runs all the way down the continental slope
& thus practically a third of the way to bermuda

in fact right past cape cod & long island
& almost to the latitude of new brunswick as in new jersey iirc

> What exactly constitutes "innocent passage"? If the US wants
to sail a half a mile off Iran, that would not be innocent passage,
would it?

i believe it could be
& depends entirely on the actual intent

just cruising unthreateningly thru the straits of hormuz
probably cant legally be opposed or prevented by anyone

> Also, what exactly is the contiguous zone? I see
http://www.un.org/law/ilc/texts/terrsea.htm and
http://www.oceanlaw.org/positions/contiguous/body_contiguous.
html, but how does this differ from territorial waters?

not sure because it seems to get ignored in favor of & by
comparison with the much clearer 12nm & 200nm limits
but i think it is mainly for extending the right of hot pursuit
& similarly obscure technicalities

> obviously the line jogs in several places to avoid things
> but despite strong deja vu i cant think of anywhere it actually
fails
> to miss them
>
> Ahah. I found it:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/12/30/48hours/main1445
69.shtml. This seems a bit more plasuible than
http://www.cca.org/woc/felfat/exp1.html. ;-)

this last one is absolutely fantastic tho
great shooting twice

special aside to bill
does this white felfat ball remind you of anything

> What are the other two? (Antarctica and ?)

the idle idyl isle of idl

i give up
do you know
or should we offer a prize for the finder