Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Northernmost Int'l Land Frontier in the World
Date: Jan 24, 2003 @ 16:16
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: <orc@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 9:43 AM

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh"
> <jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> > Ice must always be considered "water" (inshore) or "sea"
> (offshore), not
> > land!
>
> thank you
> thank you
> & yet much if not most of everyones ice rests on everyones land
> & even contains appreciable amounts of everyones land within it
>
> moreover such ice is itself typically dry also
> & is rarely wet
> & practically never afloat
> til it calves off as icebergs
>
> in fact i would guess
> only in march or april is the global balance of everyones ice wet

Well, most of the world's ice is in the Southern Hemisphere and is only wet
perhaps in Dec, Jan, Feb, March, right? PBS recently had a "Secrets of the
Dead" show on Scott's expedition "Tragedy at the Pole"
(http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_southpole/index.html) and a few facts
that I recall are that it was -30 °F or below for about 3 weeks, that
Simpson's (Scott's meteorologist) forecast would have been right 15/16 times
(1912 was a bad year), wind would have made it warmer (IIRC from elsewhere,
Katabatic means "down wind" and as I'm sure we all know, air sinking
compresses and heats), there was a temperature inversion that year (warm air
aloft and cold surface air), the snow was packed and they couldn't get their
runners on their sled through it w/o a great deal of force (above -30 the
runners would have melted the snow just enough to give them some
lubrication), at -30, water freezes in one minute.