Subject: Re: Enclaves/exclaves again
Date: Jan 16, 2003 @ 13:31
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

yes probably the only ones in a lake
but i believe we have also encountered a whole archipelago
in the parana or uruguay river
involving an unknown number of island claves
belonging to argentina &or brazil &or one of the guays
within some sort of a hydroelectric condominium arrangement

but there was some confusion at the time as to whether these
were real or not
& an additional problem about water levels affecting them
& i dont remember the particulars or whether we arrived at any
final determination of their status

if only i could recall a useful search term
but i bet someone can beam them up again

anyway the problem of course is
once you admit lakes &or rivers
it is hard to stop admitting before reaching territorial seas
which must enclose quite a few so called coastal fragments too

& once you arrive there
well then you have all the other seas to allow or disallow as well
or at least to qualify their effects with descriptive nomenclature

but indeed why not go the whole hog & describe everything you
possibly can
one way or another
as you are so close to completely surrounding the topic anyway

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Rolf Palmberg
<rpalmber@a...> wrote:
> I have now included the Malawian islands in my
> list of enclaves/exclaves. But a tiny bit of me feels
> there's something illogical about it.
> Is this, btw, the only case of islands within foreign
> territories in lakes? I cannot think of any other cases
> at the moment!
> Rolf
>

> At 14:33 14.1.2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >Thanks Jan.
> >
> >This IS difficult, but I see your point.
> >In fact, I had the Malawian exclaves listed
> >on my enclave site a couple of years ago,
> >then decided they are not enclaves since
> >there is no land border at all involved, and
> >then removed the info.
> >Maybe I have to rethink again.
> >
> >Rolf
> >
> >At 12:38 14.1.2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >>Hello Rolf,
> >>
> >>I understand that you are not interested in sea enclaves -
neither am I,
> >>but I am a bit puzzled why you don't include the Malawian
exclaves on
> >>your list.
> >>Your definition is:
> >>An enclave is a geographical territory which is completely
surrounded by
> >>foreign territory.
> >>Considering that both Malwian islands are not inside any
sea, but in an
> >>inland lake and completely surrounded by Mozambique
territory, does this
> >>not fullfill the defintion to considered as exclaves/enclaves?
> >>Peter S. and I have tried to create describtions on several
geographical
> >>areas, and we both agreed that inland lake should be
considered as "land"
> >>concerning exclaves/enclaves. I feel that creating an exact
definition
> >>also a sea coast country's territorial waters (out to e.g. 12
nm.) also
> >>must be considered "land".
> >>It is not easy to create definitions covering all possibilties,
but it
> >>would be great if we all could unite in a common
understanding.

> >>Jan
> >>

> >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> >><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of
Service.