Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Somewhat OT: Where does space begin
Date: Jan 16, 2003 @ 07:07
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: <orc@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 1:47 PM

> hey john
> thats not in the old
testament at all

Well, that's just because God put a stop to the building of the Tower of Babel ;-)

> & i dont know of any upward limit on sovereign air space
> except of course what one can practically maintain
control over

So, it's fair game if we can hit it with an ASAT?

http://www.space.edu/projects/book/chapter3.html is interesting:

WHERE DOES SPACE BEGIN?

At 81 KM (50 miles) one government agency, the United States Department of Defense says that space begins because it awards all pilots who fly above this altitude astronaut wings. This group not only includes all the people who have flown the space shuttle and various other craft into space, but also the X-15 pilots who flew above this altitude.

Surely you say, some international body must have declared where space begins. International law states that there is no definitive point where the atmosphere ends and space begins. The major space powers accept the following definition: Space begins at " the lowest perigee attained by orbiting space vehicles..."

Perigee is the closest approach point to the Earth in an elliptical orbit. A potential challenge to this definition occurred in 1976 when eight equatorial nations issued declarations of sovereignty over the geosynchronous orbit belt which lies 35862 kilometers above the equator. Columbia, Equador, Brazil, People's Republic of the Congo, Zaire, Kenya, Uganda, and Indonesia also stated that they would defend such areas. But in 1980 the United Nations determined that such claims were null and void because Outer space is international territory.

http://www.spacetoday.org/Questions/WhereIsSpace.html

"The generally accepted altitude where Space starts is 100 kilometers, which is 62 miles. "

This website however doesn't say who the generals are that accept this definition

> worse yet
> because space
expands the farther from the earth you go
> the sizes of the countries are
actually bigger up there

> not sure that joke link is still
working tho