Subject: mats
Date: Jan 11, 2003 @ 02:54
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

while i agree the others do seem only naggy by comparison
i think the most interesting of jans & your questions are the
following

> And then, the text of the treat cleary states that the
> highest peak of the mountain is the critical point.
> Then, would that place the quadripoint on top of the
> rock?

yes
that places the legal quadripoint at the very summit
unless the treaty also states marker 110 is the definitive marker

for only in that case might the marker or associated relics trump
the exact summit for determining the quadripoint position

so at the very least
if the treaty doesnt clarify this
then the summit needs to be reexamined for any other indication

yet even if the peak proves to be as bare as your recollection of it
that alone wont disqualify it

indeed it is likely that neither of the 2 other world class boundary
crosses is marked on the exact spot either
tho i have seen a tertiary one directly marked

& after all at least 2 other possibilities do exist for marker 110

first & perhaps most likely
it could be only a witness monument
whether the cross on it is meant as a schematic diagram or not

indeed the cross on the marker might as easily be a symbol for
the peak itself
as is often the case for peaks on maps etc
rather than a tracing out of the quadrijunction per se

this would make it a clear case of indirect monumentation
& would provide a clear & satisfactory meaning for the symbol

by contrast
the quadrijunction as it appears on maps isnt nearly as
rectilinear as this decidedly cruciform diagram on the marker

&or secondly etc
marker 110 &or the eye pin etc might be only an ordinary
boundary demarcation
upon any 1 of the 4 atde lines that descend from the summit
in which case the cross would only symbolize the border line
as is also conventional on maps

but perhaps you can confirm or bust this wild surmise
from your experience &or your maps

perhaps too you may have seen traces of 1 or more of the 3
other atde lines there too

like could there have been as many as 4 eye pins lurking around
the summit rather than only this 1
etc

& might an intervisible monument come into alignment by
looking thru the eye hole
yikes

just musing & winging it here
but i trust you get the drift of the many possibilities

> I don't recall seeing antyhing irregular on the
> top of the rock, but I didn't look all that carefully,
> and unfortunately the images don't reveal anything.
>
> So where is the point? And, indeed, what is the point,
> one might wonder... :)

at the very summit unless specifically & expressly contradicted

& the point may only be that the point & the pointer are one

otherwise why bother pointing at all
& what would one be seeking here there & everywhere if not self

> Why would the surveyours do what could look as
> questionable work on this important spot, while the
> rest of the border is so neatly marked with
> nice-looking, well maintained and correctly positioned
> stones?

maybe the peak was just too pointy to support any marker
or the rocks there too loose or friable to promise a lasting one
etc