Subject: Re: eglysd
Date: Jan 04, 2003 @ 18:18
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

yesss per
another spectacular play & view

but i wonder if you could continue to question the photographer
about it
because i checked the photo against the topo you provided in the
first link in message 8488
& i found karkur ibrahim & karkur idris there ok
far to the west
& several libyan peaks near lysd that could be marchesi

but based on all these data it is hard to imagine how the tripoint
which must lie due north of where the photo was taken from
could possibly fall within the frame

indeed if everything else is correct as stated here & shown there
then i would have expected the tripoint to fall a good half turn or
more beyond the right edge of the photo

so maybe the photographer could help us out by identifying
marchesi peak on the map
or by clarifying the situation in some other way

like maybe he could explain how he identified & got a fix on the
tripoint position

was it just by gps readings
or just by map gazing
or both
or how exactly

otherwise i have my doubts that we have a true class d yet

not that getting so close isnt still fantastic in any case
but i would like more corroboration if possible

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:
> I have mailed the guy from the Uweinat site, and he is very
friendly.

> Along a photo of EGSD, which will end up on Borderbase, he a
supplied a photo of the tripoint, which is attached to this
message.

> "The tripoint should be situated somewhere at the very right
edge of the
> attached picture. (This picture shows a downward-view from
> the "Libyan" Marchesi-peak towards the Libyan valleys Karkur
Ibrahim and
> Karkur Idris - photo taken Nov 2001 at the Libyan-Sudanese
border)".

> He is planning another trip to Uweinat, and might get a better
picture for me, but warns me that the area is very hard to access,
and you need permission.

> Jesper

mark

http://www.swopnet.com/geo_mileshome/COS_Uweinat.html