Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Swedish exclave in Haparanda?
Date: Jan 02, 2003 @ 20:32
Author: Jesper Nielsen ("Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@image.dk>)

For me there are official pene enclaves like Point Roberts, Jungholz, Klein Walsertal etc. Inhabited settlements only practically accesible through foreign territory.

Point Roberts might have a ferry connection, so... But still you cannot just go there when you want, you have to line of for the boat I guess.

And then there are these great unimportant pene enclaves, which I like a lot, like the Haparanda one. Or the long lines of Belgium houses in a German street in the BEDE border town of Liechentenbusch. They all have to go abroad to leave their properties, or to go to the Belgium bakery in the German street.

Attached a scan of a tiny Belgian pene exclave only a few meters from BEDELU. The Belgian farmer has made this saliant into Luxembourg so that his cattle can reach the small border creek for water. Comming from LU the best practical way to enter the small sailent is going to BE first.

Jesper

Oh Jan, enclaves or exclaves. I forget sometimes to call them by their proper names. I belive in Rolf's definition. Llivia is a Spanish exclave and a French enclave. I think the media always gets this wrong. Kaliningrad has been in the news alot recently, and is always referred to as the "Russian enclave Kaliningrad". One thing is that they call in an enclave, but a Russian enclave would be forreign land INSIDE Russia