Subject: Re: Swedish exclave in Haparanda?
Date: Jan 02, 2003 @ 05:05
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh"
<jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have discovered a Finnish tourist map which seems to
confirm the Swedish
> tourist map we discussed last year, that there might exist a
small Swedish
> exclave on the eastern bank of mouth of Tornio River - in
Haparanda. The
> exclave (appr. 50 m2) is by land only reachable through
Finnish territory.

http://home.no.net/enklaver/borders/tornio_haparanda_map.htm

> At the moment I am trying to get this confirmed. Any comments
appreciated!

per your query above
i believe none of these are really claves by any exacting definition
tho one does look like a true international island
& all the rest are probably authentic international tongues of land

as you probably also realize
both of these categories comprise quite different & more
common sorts of things than true claves

but many such land forms have been previously ogled here
by many members
& often misidentified as claves of some sort
so evidently it is easy to become excited & confused by them

but if they are to be called or thought of as claves at all
they probably should be specially distinguished
by calling them for example pyritic claves
just to forewarn & forestall against any devaluation of true claves
by their inadvertent commingling

& as you probably also know
international golf courses
no less than international airports or buildings or streets etc
have been at least mildly fascinating to many members
til ross holed a tricountry golf course in message 5528
perhaps jading us forever on things that are merely binational

but i think binational golf courses are both cool & rare enough to
merit a special list
& they are probably much rarer & thus perhaps more fun to
collect than international islands or tongues of land alone

however this occurrence of all 3 of these phenomena in one
place may well be unique
& i agree it is probably real
& a remarkable find in any case

looks like your lovely daughter is becoming a regular border
freak too