Subject: Re: coastal boundaries
Date: Dec 16, 2002 @ 05:56
Author: Karolis B. <kbajoraz@yahoo.com> ("Karolis B. <kbajoraz@...>" <kbajoraz@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>
wrote:
> This map from maps.lt indicate something else...
>
> Comments?
>
> Jesper

yes. the map shows the Lithuanian-Russian border. However untill
Russia ratifies the treaty no such thing as Lithuanian Russian border
exists. So currently the Soviet republican border acts as the
administrartion line between Lithuania and Russia. That is exatly
what creates the Vistytis Farms situation, currently landing the
three families on the other side of the administrative line. When the
treaty is ratified the real border will place those few hectares in
Lithuania. Administrative line follows the coast of the lake and only
gives a 40-something hectare corner of the lake off of the Vistytis
town to Lithuania. The border will go as seen in the map, and
Lithuania will lease 525 ha of the lake for no less than 49 years,
which seems to me will divide the lake more or less equally. I've
also heared, but seems not true to me, that the Soviet border gives
the whole of Nemunas river to Russia. But that border is still valid
and the two countries seem to hold the middle as the administrative
line.