Subject: Re: PLh
Date: Dec 14, 2002 @ 00:34
Author: Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@blueyond ("Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@...>" <granthutchison@...>)

> so has much of the info changed since 1996
> or is it mainly improved data that calls for a new edition
Improved information - the first ed. was always going to be something
of a ranging shot, and it put me in contact with lots of people who
were expert in particular areas.

> i can imagine lowpoint tripoints might be relatively common
> with so many trijunctions falling at stream confluences etc
> but do you have any idea how many of these there might be
> & if so which they are

Country: Tripoint with:
Bolivia Brazil/Paraguay
Botswana Zimbabwe/South Africa
Burundi Dem. Rep. of Congo/Tanzania
Central African Rep. Congo/Dem. Rep. of Congo
Mali Senegal/Mauritania
Niger Benin/Nigeria
Rwanda Burundi/Dem. Rep. of Congo
Swaziland Mozambique/South Africa
Zambia Zimbabwe/Mozambique

> & are you aware of any other highpoint tripoints than chfrit
That one isn't a highpoint, though - there are higher mountains than
Mont Dolent in all three countries.
There are four imprecise highpoint tripoints:

Country: Highpoint: Tripoint with:
El Salvador Montecristo Guatemala/Honduras
Guyana Roraima Brazil/Venezuela
Mongolia Kujten-Uul China/Russia (West)
Netherlands Vaalserberg Belgium/Germany

For Roraima and the Vaalserberg, I know that the tripoint is close to
the summit, but not on it. For Montecristo, the tripoint seems to be
poorly defined, and for Kujten-Uul, I don't have any information
apart from that the tripoint is "on the mountain".

Grant