Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] ca-nl
Date: Dec 07, 2002 @ 13:51
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Anton,

>You can find it on any site you like whether it be the official homepage
>of the Royal Family of the Netherlands or official Canadian government sites

I suppose I was wondering out loud whether the enclave was actually created
in advance of the birth, or whether it was 'created' retrospectively. I'm
not sure that governments with more pressing problems (i.e. being involved
in a war) would waste time worrying about such legal niceties ;-)

>(or whatever citizenship Canadians had before 1947)

She would have been a British Subject (the concept of citizenship wasn't
introduced until 1981), which would have been interesting for a member of
another country's royal family! Maybe that's why the Dutch enclave was
enacted or claimed.

>In countries in the Romanic law tradition you acquire citizenship ONLY
>through descent from a citizen, no matter where you were born, whether 'at
>home' or abroad.

Presumably you can also obtain citizenship through naturalisation?

Regards,

Kevin Meynell