Subject: Re: ca-nl
Date: Dec 07, 2002 @ 13:35
Author: anton_zeilinger <anton_zeilinger@hotmail ("anton_zeilinger <anton_zeilinger@...>" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Hello Kevin,

> The whole story strikes me as one made-up after the fact for public
> relations purposes.

I don't think the story was made up. You can find it on any site you
like whether it be the official homepage of the Royal Family of the
Netherlands or official Canadian government sites, for instance:

www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=feature/twohats/th_margriet

> Being born in Canada to Dutch parents wouldn't have
> necessarily made her a dual citizen.
> Furthermore, there was no such thing as Canadian citizenship until
> 1947.

Well, it definitely would have made her a dual citizen! Dutch by the
virtue of her descent from two Dutch parents, and Canadian (or
whatever citizenship Canadians had before 1947) by the place of
birth.

For some reason - maybe something in the Dutch rules on accession to
the throne - dual citizenship had to be prevented and so she could
not be born on Canadian soil. Therefore the maternity room had to be
temporarily declared outside of Canada!

> Even in 'Anglo-Saxon' countries you
> can claim citizenship by virtue of your parents' nationality.

Yes, of course, but that's not the point here. The point is that in
countries with Anglo-Saxon law you acquire citizenship by birth in
the country under any circumstances (without exception, even if your
parents are illegal immigrants!) OR by descent, i.e. when your
parents are citizens, independent of your place of birth. In
countries in the Romanic law tradition you acquire citizenship ONLY
through descent from a citizen, no matter where you were born,
whether 'at home' or abroad.

an example:
German parents, child born in USA > U.S. AND German citizenship
U.S. parents, child born in Germany > only U.S. citizenship

Greetings,
Anton