Subject: Re: St Pierre et Miquelon
Date: Dec 05, 2002 @ 10:41
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I'm still not sure, though.

The CAFR boundary regarding territorial waters was not regulated by
the court of arbitration ruling of 1992, but earlier on, and finally
regulated by an agreement dating from 1974. I've found the following
at
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/20051m_040201/french_depende
nciesfinal.doc , and this implies that there is not a land boundary.
But only a detailed map would shed enough light on the issue to be
sure.

Boundary turning points 4 and 5 are really interesting. They are on
the low water mark. And what to make of the remark "Islands were both
considered and ignored as locational factors in the boundary
delimitation"? Does this only apply to the use of them (i.e. their
base lines) as a base from which the territorial waters were defined?

---------

FRANCE-CANADA: TERRITORIAL SEA BOUNDARY
(ST.PIERRE AND MIQUELON), March 1972, Excerpts

The agreement and the comments following are extracted from Limits in
the Seas, No. 57, "Canada-St. Pierre and Miquelon Territorial Sea
Boundary," 12 September 1974.

The line which determines the limit of the territorial waters of
Canada and the zones submitted to the fishery jurisdiction of France
extends northward and westward in a series of eight connected
straight lines joining the following points:

TABLE 2-71
FRANCE-CANADA MARITIME BOUNDARY

POINT / LINES
1. Equidistant 12 nm from L'Enfant Perdu (France) and Lamaline Shag
Rock (Canada). Latitude 46°38'46"N., Longitude 55°54'12"W.
approximately.
2. Equidistant from L'Enfant Perdu (France) and Lamaline Shag Rock
and Otter Rock (Canada). Latitude 46°41'56"N., Longitude 55°
58'57"W.approximately.
3. Equidistant from L'Enfant Perdu (France) and Otter Rock and Enfant
Perdu (Canada). Latitude 46°48'10"N., Longitude 55°58'57"W.
approximately.
4. The low water mark on the south-westernmost point on Enfant Perdu
(Canada). Latitude 46°51'20"N., Longitude 56°05'30"W. approximately.
5. The low water mark on the west point of the south-westernmost
island of the Little Green Island group. Latitude 46°51'36"N.,
Longitude 56°05'58"W. approximately.
6. The intersection of the French mid-channel line of 1907 with a
line parallel to, and 3 miles distant from a line joining Green
Island to Dantzig Point. Latitude 46°55'52"N., Longitude 56°07'47"W.
approximately.
7. The intersection of the French mid-channel line of 1907 with the
median line, equidistant from Bout du Nordet (France) and Little
Plate Island (Canada). Latitude 47°06'02"N., Longitude 56°06'18" W.
approximately.
8. Equidistant from Cap du Nid a l'Aigle (France) and Little Plate
Island and the southwest Wolf Rock (Canada). Latitude 47°18'19"N.
Longitude 56°15'18"W. approximately.
9. The intersection of the French mid-channel line of 1907 with the
outer limit of Canada's 12-mile territorial Sea. Latitude 47°
21'54"N., Longitude 56°29'40"W. approximately.

U.S. ANALYSIS

The analysis of the Canada-St. Pierre and Miquelon territorial sea
boundary utilized DMAHC Chart N.O. 14340, 20th Edition, November
1943, revised November 11, 1972, and Canadian Hydrographic Service
Chart 405, compiled in 1971. The territorial sea agreement and
boundary delimitation were printed on the above Canadian chart.

The territorial sea boundary extends for a distance of 54.34 nm, with
an average distance between the turning point of 6.79 nm. The
average water depth at the turning points is 60.6 fathoms, with
depths ranging from 35 to 160 fathoms.

Five of the territorial sea boundary turning points are equidistant
from Canadian and French territory. Overall, the turning points are
an average of 6.79 nm from Canadian territory and 7.62 nm from St.
Pierre and Miquelon.

The southern terminus of the territorial sea boundary, Point 1, is
located 12 nm equidistant from L'Enfant Perdu (France) 46°47'08"N.,
56°06'48"W.) and Lamaline Shag Rock (Canada) (46°50'24"N., 55°
49'40"W.).

Turning Point 2 is 9.30 nm equidistant from L'Enfant Perdu (France)
and Lamaline Shag Rock and Otter Rock (46°51'00"N., 55°52'16"W.)
(Canada). The distance between Point 1 and Point 2 is 3.16 nm.

Point 3 is 6.61 nm from Point 2 and 6.61 nm equidistant from L'Enfant
Perdu (France) and Otter Rock and Enfant Perdu (Canada).

From Point 3 to Point 4 is a distance of 5.50 nm. Point 4 is not
equidistant from French and Canadian territory; it is located at the
low-water mark off the southwest point of Enfant Perdu, a Canadian
islet. Petit Colombier, a French islet immediately north of Great
Colombier, is 3.25 nm from Point 4 and is the nearest French
territory.

Point 4 and 5 are separated by a distance of 0.35 nm. Point 5 is not
equidistant from the two sovereignties, but is located at the low-
water mark on the west point of the south-westernmost island of the
Little Green Island group, which is Canadian. Petit Colombier, 3.18
nm southwest of Point 5, is the closest French islet.

The distance between Points 5 and 6 is 4.40 nm. Point 6 is not an
equidistant site; it is located at the intersection of the French mid-
channel line of 1907 with a line parallel to, and 3 nm west of, a
line joining Green Island and Dantzic Point, Newfoundland. The
nearest Canadian territory to Point 6 is 5.88 nm at a location a
little north of Little Dantzic Cove. The French islet of Petit du
Cap, north of Cap Perce, is 5.22 nm from Point 6.

Point 7 is 10.30 nm from Point 6, and is also 5.30 nm equidistant
from Little Plate Island (Canada) and Bout du Nordet (47°04'43"N., 56°
13'13"W.) (France). Point 7 also marks the intersection of the
French mid-channel line of 1907 and the median line equidistant from
the islands of Little Plate and Bout du Nordet.

It is 13.68 nm between Points 7 and 8. According to the annex to the
agreement, Point 8 is equidistant from Cap du Nid a l'Aigle (variant
name is Cap Miquelon) (France) and Little Plate Island and the
southwest Wolf Rocks (Canada). An analysis of the Canadian and U.S.
hydrographic charts reveals that it is Big Plate Island and not
Little Plate Island that is the location which is equidistant from
Point 8 on the Canadian side. Further, it is the southernmost Wolf
Rocks, and not the southwest Wolf Rocks, which is another site on the
Canadian side equidistant from Point 8. Point 8 is 10.30 nm from
both Canadian and French territory.

The distance from Point 8 to Point 9 is 10.34 nm. Point 9 is not
equidistant from French and Canadian territory; it is situated at the
intersection of the French-mid-channel line of 1907 and the outer
limit of Canada's 12nm territorial sea. The territorial sea is
measured from the Canadian straight baseline which closes Hermitage
Bay. Point 9 is 12.85 nm from southwest Wolf Rocks (Canada and
14.50nm from Cap du Nid a l'Aigle (Cap Miquelon) (France).

Summary

The territorial sea boundary between St. Pierre and Miquelon (France)
and Newfoundland (Canada) utilizes both the equidistance principle
and negotiated locations in delimiting the 54.34 nm boundary. Five
of the turning points are equidistant locations, whereas the other
four points represent negotiated positions. Islands were both
considered and ignored as locational factors in the boundary
delimitation.

---------

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> Wow! Good work Peter!
>
> I think I will go down to the Topo map office here and see if there
is a sheet showing the area in detail. Could you imagine if we've
discovered a CAFR land boundary?! How exciting.

> By the way, I get a TV channel from St-Pierre on my satellite
system. I love watching their news!

> Doug

CAFR. My
> quest is to find a chart that covers this area... my dream is
that
> the boundary runs across one of the Islands.
>

> Well, the dream could be reality!
>
> Found at http://www.st-pierre-et-
miquelon.com/musee/tricoche.html :

> "(...) Un de ces îlots, l'île Verte, où l'on aurait à peine la
place
> de bâtir une maison de taille ordinaire et ses dépendances,
contient
> ce qu'on appelle en plaisantant " la frontière de terre de Saint-
> Pierre-et-Miquelon ". C'est qu'en effet, il appartient par moitié
> la France et à Terre-Neuve. (...)"
>
> (One of these islands, the Green Island, with hardly any space to
> build a house of normal dimensions and its annexes, contains what
is
> jokingly called "the land boundary of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon".
It
> is indeed split in half between France and Newfoundland)
>
> Peter S.

Service.