Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Nomenclature (thalweg)
Date: Dec 04, 2002 @ 12:02
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

--- acroorca2002 <orc@...> wrote:
> doctor
> our search function & nomenclature are often equally ridiculous
> but a thalweg is just the deepest & swiftest part of any stream
> aka the center of the navigation channel
> & is usually visible as a sort of crease on the surface of the water
> or else as a line in the lowest part of the dry bed
>
> this line is frequently tho not always found near midstream
> but treaties often specify it as the official boundary
> rather than the middle of the river or a bank etc
> so that both parties will have equal access for transport
> & also for ease of precise identification

The thalweg also makes it clear to which country islands in a river
belong. In dry times, these islands could become attached to one of the
banks. When the border follows the thalweg, it will become attached to
the bank of the same state, and the border will stay in the water. That
is, as long as the river still contains any water, of course.

Peter S.

Peter S.