Subject: Re: Length CYUK
Date: Nov 26, 2002 @ 18:56
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

better late than never
i have just found this note in ibs no 7
qualifying a statement in text that says
according to official german sources
bede is 167km
while belgian sources cite 162km

the note under it says
boundary lengths are usually determined by map measurement
& many factors affect the accuracy of the results

1
the precision of the measuring tool

2
the experience of the operator

3
the scale of the map

4
the degree of generalization followed by the mapping agency

etc

as a result a certain margin of difference should be anticipated
with all measurements
& since all maps are generalized
the larger figure is recommended as being more accurate

& i would add that the potential distortions & differences tend to
be greatest in cases where the boundaries follow watercourses
& most especially where they follow shorelines & coasts

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...> wrote:
> I could have asked my UK Base contact, and so I did. Here is
the answer:

> Boundary length in the WSBA is 47.62km excluding territorial
waters or 99km including territorial waters. For the ESBA it is
90.24km excluding territorial waters and 115km including
territorial waters.

> Jesper

comprised
> of
> > many if not mostly irregular lines rather than straight survey
> lines
> > i was going to guess a perfectly round 100 km last night
> > for the land boundaries of both bases combined
> > & nearly posted it
> >
> > but now with 49 claimed for dhekelia alone
> > it is hard to resist increasing my guess slightly
> >
> > however
> > as you probably also realize
> > accurate measurement of fiat boundaries is elusive
> > chimerical quixotic & practically impossible
> > notwithstanding the many seemingly authoritative numbers
> > & even seemingly authoritative rosters of them we have
seen
> > so i think i will stick with my unpretentiously well rounded
100

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@t...>
> wrote:
> > > Gideon, p. 183:
> > > «... The Dhekelia base is on the northern shore of
Larnaca
> > Bay, northeast of
> > > the city of Larnaca, with a boundary of about 30 miles (49
> km.).
> > The
> > > boundaries are well demarcated by bolundary pillars
> > according to the Treaty
> > > of Establishment, which was part of the 1960
Independence