Subject: Re: baarle was caus
Date: Nov 25, 2002 @ 16:29
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx to victor & ed for the proxy try
which is never an easy thing to pull off in any case
but it was an interesting exercise

& you are correct peter

my original request & description are in message 7379
which on retrospect was not much of a lead to go on

oldtimers may recall that brendan once visited & photographed
this binational quadripoint aka border cross
class c
a close shot to be sure
but based simply on the rough pattern of the corn plantings
rather than on precise alignment of the monumentation

& it didnt occur to me that not everyone would remember or be
able to even find the right cornfield on a map
not to mention the added difficulty involved in visiting class a
which would have required finding & cross eyeballing the 4
markers
etc etc

but anyone who can & would continue to pursue this cherished
quest object to its infinitesimal conclusion is cordially entreated
to do so
especially now that the corn has most likely been cropped & the
views cleared

only 2 other such points in the world have been confirmed
of which only the one at jungholz has yet been visited class a

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...>
wrote:
> Victor, I think you might have been looking at the wrong point.
The
> border cross is not on a road but in a field. It is where enclaves
H1
> and H2 are connected. See for example the map at Eef's site (

http://home.wanadoo.nl/~eefberns/baarle-map%20met%20encl
ave-
> aanduidingen-center.jpg ). Since you were standing on a road,
maybe
> this was in between the Dutch enclaves N3 and N5. I visited
this spot
> myself once, and the near miss is something like you
describe.